Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Friday, October 06, 2006

Shame on Columbia University

Transcript from the Lou Dobbs Program on CNN, October 5, 2006

“In New York City last night, illegal alien amnesty supporters in an unusual setting attacked Jim Gilchrist, the founder of the Minutemen Project. Gilchrist had just taken the stage at New York's Columbia University. That's right Columbia University. Columbia Television News was videotaping the event. As you see, suddenly, Columbia students stormed the stage forcing Gilchrist to run for his safety.
Students waving banners claiming, quote, "No one is ever illegal." Those chanted slogans of the illegal alien amnesty movement. Thankfully no one was hurt but Columbia's reputation as a university is in question tonight as Columbia University Republicans who sponsored the events says this demonstration proves there is no free speech on their campus. And they have the evidence to prove their point.
Minutemen, whether you like them or not, have been the target of violent protests and demonstrations by illegal aliens and their supporters all this year. Protests across the country, calling the Minutemen racist, all because of their nonviolent efforts to protect borders and keep out illegal aliens.
And for the record, not one single incident on the part of the Minutemen throughout its efforts to patrol the borders (not included in transcript) is a volunteer group -- Columbia University, you ought to be ashamed. And I'll tell you, much of this nation who cares about such things as free speech is ashamed of you.

When a University invites an individual to speak on their campus, that individual should expect to be treated with dignity as a guest, and as an invited guest should be able to go to a University and be able to speak their point of view without fear of being harassed or attacked. This is despicable.
While I was in school there were plenty of people who were invited to speak, but I decided to not go and listen. I did not go and then attempt to attack the person speaking. Columbia University should be ashamed and anyone associated with the University should be ashamed too. These students wanted to express their right of “Free Speech,” and yet were unwilling to allow someone else the same right, even when that person was an invited guest.
This story was covered by Lou Dobbs and Bill O’Reilly, I don’t know if it was covered anywhere else. If you are not watching the Lou Dobbs Program, I suggest you do, because then you will actually learn what is going on in this country, and not just what those in the media want you to know.

6 Comments:

Blogger quakerdave said...

The students should have let him speak. Absolutely. When I was an undergrad, we had everyone from IRA spokesperson Bernadette Devlin to Jane Fonda to Stan Lee on our campus. They all got to speak.

I don't agree with shouting people down or throwing pies at people. Those are the tactics of brownshirts. Let them talk.

This is America. Anyone can have a platform. Even idiots like The Minutemen.

Sat Oct 07, 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

From the limited info I've seen and read on this, I have to say, I agree they should have let the man speak. Storming the stage is a bullying tactic and total BS. My feeling is when you have to resort to trying to physically intimidate someone, especially in the political realm, you've lost all credibility for your point. Jeez, Publius, will you stop posting crap that I agree with?

Mon Oct 09, 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

QD, it is odd, I don’t think that everyone should have a platform. I don’t believe someone should be allowed to stand anywhere and “exercise their right to free speech.” I don’t think a Satan-worshipper should be able to say whatever they want in front of a church, I don’t think the Klan should be allowed to hold a rally in front of a Black Church or on a Historically Black College campus, etc.
But, this was an invited speaker to Columbia University, and in being such, regardless of what he was saying, he should not be attacked.
Rogue, I think that not only have you lost all credibility when you attack someone who thinks differently, but it also means that you must not have a very good argument for your own side, or that you know you own view point can not hold against that of someone else.
I agree with the Minutemen, and I believe the same on the issue of illegal immigration, that one the government is not doing enough if anything to stop illegal immigration, and two that illegal immigration is hurting this country. I believe the students attacked Gilchrist because they know there is no rationalization for their point of view.

Mon Oct 09, 05:24:00 PM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

I would agree with your response.

And I will hate myself in the morning for it.

Mon Oct 09, 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

Except for your support of Gilchrist, of course.

Tue Oct 10, 04:35:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

QD, I know you don’t agree with the Minutemen, and I have seen the same stories that would make me question it too. But, his goal, which is to end illegal immigration, on that point there should be no disagreement.

Wed Oct 11, 12:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home