Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Monday, October 09, 2006

And my eyes opened Part One

I have made no bones about the fact that I am a conservative. I am not an ubber-conservative but perhaps because of my blogging with so many liberal bloggers I have softened up a little. And then I saw two things that made me realize that no only am I conservative, but that liberals just don’t get it.
The first came in of all places while I was watching the movie Forrest Gump. I switched it on during the scene of the big peace protest in Washington. I am sure you all are familiar with the movie, and if not, then you should see it. What struck me was that in the protest scene where Forrest accidentally goes up on stage to speak there were all these signs that read “Support Our Troops, Bring Them Home.”
I can’t help but thing many of the same people who held this same sentiment in the ‘60s and ‘70s are some of the same people who hold this sentiment today. To them, supporting the troops means protesting and getting the government to bring them home in the middle of a difficult war. But, it was the same people who protested “in support of the troops” in the ‘60s and ‘70s who then spat on the soldiers once they arrived home and called them baby killers, and treated them with disgust. No, I was not alive then, but members of my family were, and they did go to Vietnam and that was how they were treated by the supposed peace loving liberals. Those who protested did not support the troops; in fact the opposite was true. They simply disagreed with a war that they did not want to fight in themselves and pretended to support the troops as a means to argue against a war they did not support.
I can’t help but wonder if much of the same is going on today. Many of the left who claim to support the troops, and want them to come home, are also the ones who almost seemed rejoiced with the news out of Abu Ghraib, they post pictures of little children left bloody or dead in Iraq, they talk about how many innocent Iraqis have died in the war, and they talk about how we are only doing evil in Iraq and creating more terrorists. The self-serving left that claims to support the troops are the modern day Hanoi Jane.

Now, I don’t believe the war has gone perfectly, there is no such thing as a perfect war, and I believe there have been a lot of mistakes, but I don’t hide my beliefs of the war under a self-serving and false depiction of support for the troops. There is a war going on, and rather that protesting that war, I would rather the government give the soldiers anything and everything they need to win and keep as many of them safe as possible. If they need more guns, give them more guns. If they need more soldiers, give them more soldiers. If they need more bombs, more mortars, more jet fighters, more tanks, if they need international support, if they need more money to build infrastructure, what ever they need, they should get. Soldiers pay the burden of war and the blame, while politicians only take credit.
Want to support the troops? Don’t call, write, or email your Congressmen to bring the troops home, instead, contact your Congressmen and tell them to give the soldiers anything they need. Our Congressmen sent them, and it is our duty to make sure our Congressmen give them everything they need.

14 Comments:

Blogger quakerdave said...

Do you REALLY think we on the Left "rejoiced" over what happened in that hellhole?

And you think WE don't get it? Man, we need to talk.

Mon Oct 09, 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Bobkatt said...

I think you get it just fine Publius. Otherwise we wouldn't have our military indiscretions as front page news for months at a time. Unfortunately, both parties are more concerned about hurting the other side than in what is the best for this country.
The uberliberals try to kick the ROTC out of colleges and reject grant money for military research and want to limit how the recruiters operate.
The uberconservatives send our troops into dangerous situations to do jobs that are next to impossible without the proper equipment. Sadly, many will come back with permanent injuries or with dire complications from being exposed to depleted uranium ammo.
It makes me sick to find out that Bush has set aside $20 million for a victory celebration. Believe me when this thing is over it won't smell like a victory.

Tue Oct 10, 06:25:00 AM  
Blogger Oncorhynchus Mykiss said...

I hate to disagree with you for two posts in a row Publius, especially since I somehow manage to agree with you on this blog a lot, but this is crazy. I know you don’t think everything that happens in movies is reality right? I mean if so, I don’t even need to cite history as a rebuttal but another movie: in Born on the Fourth of July, droves of protesters made up ENTIERLY of veterans protested at the republican convention where college graduates and other young republicans who gave nothing to the military effort EVER spit on them and called them cowards, even after having served their country. This reception was commonplace as well, just like your baby-killer scenario, and it reminds me a little of something….....hmmm…......oh yeah, the privileged, softy conservative politicians of the PRESENT who at best served in ROTC in high school calling Murtha and Kerry pansies.

The reality is, though, that no movie scene should be the basis for anyone’s argument including mine.

Tue Oct 10, 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

It is not, and should not be, the job of colleges and universities to serve as recruiting offices for the military. Let the armed services rent out storefronts and sell their product that way. Universities are for educating people, not recruiting people to become soldiers.

Tue Oct 10, 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

"Hanoi Jane"? Are we still trotting out that tired old chestnut, too? Sheesh. Invent some new cliches at least, will ya?

Tue Oct 10, 04:36:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

QD, I think by now you should know that you represent the idiotic Left as well as I represent the idiotic Right.
But, I know there were people who used Abu Ghraib to show how the US was “torturing innocent Iraqis,” accused the soldiers of war crimes, then accused their commanders, and on up to the civilian leadership for allowing such behavior to occur, then in the next sentence saying they wanted the soldiers to come home. Next the ACLU wanted the photos released so they could then be printed in every major newspaper in the world, and then there would be proof of the “evil” our soldiers were committing over there.
Sure, some soldiers have had a lapse of judgment over there. But when bloggers talk about the innocent Iraqis killed by US soldiers, do you think they hold those soldiers in high esteem? And if you don’t, then do you see any hypocrisy in trying to say the support the troops because they want them to come home?

Tue Oct 10, 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Bobkatt, our universities are part of the military industrial complex. University engineers study and train to make better bombs, jet fighters, missile technology, etc. Preventing military recruiters from coming on to college campuses shows a lack of respect by a university for the freedoms, sacrifices, and protections by the military.
But, you are right. Too many conservatives sent troops to do a job the soldiers did not want to do, and the conservative leadership did not send them with enough soldiers, the proper training, or proper equipment.
I am not going to worry about whether the war was wrong or not, you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube, but I want to see the soldiers get anything they need to do their job.

Tue Oct 10, 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

MyKiss, you are right. Some Republicans did mistreat veterans who come back from the war and said the war was going poorly and that the soldiers could not win with what they had and the civilian leadership in place. That was wrong too.
Personally, I would never insult Kerry or Murtha for what they did in service to their country. I may disagree with what they say, I may even disagree with everything they say, but I would not disrespect them.
The scene in the movie though, simply reminded me of something else. It reminded me of how some in my family and the parents of some of my friends were treated when they came back from Vietnam by those who said they supported the troops by protesting the war. There is no movie there, that was fact.

Tue Oct 10, 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

QD, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the military going to college campuses to recruit students to join the military. The federal government, private businesses, and local and state governments including the police and fire fighters go to high schools and colleges to recruit people. They are offering people careers. Is there something inherently wrong with the military that they should not be allowed to do the same? Can the state police recruit at universities? Maybe you don’t want the FBI or CIA to go to college campuses either?
The military is not for everyone, you and I both are not in the military, but it is a great career for some, and the best career for others.
Universities are a place to educate people on how to become adults and productive members of society. It is the job of universities to prepare students for the real world including a career, and that career can be in the military too.

Tue Oct 10, 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

QD, Hanoi Jane still works because it was an appropriate reference to the Vietnam War, and I know people who served in Vietnam who still only see her in that light. I think of workout videos when I think of her, some Vietnam vets can only see her as that.

Tue Oct 10, 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Bobkatt said...

I'm not sure if you misread my first post. I was pointing out that the far left might say they support the troops but attack them on the college campuses and high schools. I agree that they belong on the campus as much as any other group and more than the racist hate groups like La Raza and Mecha.

Wed Oct 11, 05:27:00 AM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

I worry a LOT about whether the war was wrong or right or whatever. Because we're about to up the ante by dropping bombs someplace else, just in time for the elction.

War is wrong, period. Especially this one.

Thu Oct 12, 03:22:00 PM  
Anonymous spotz said...

That's great, Pub. I still don't understand why you aren't in the military or at least the National Guard. You obviously support the troops, believe in the Iraq war, and want the Mexican border razorwired. So why don't you put your money where your gob is?

You're yong enough to serve, have a desire to do something for your country, and you could get some better creds than the chickenhawk ones you have now. Oh, and you like blindly following orders and spouting tired slogans. You're a natural soldier.

As you know, I'm a liberal who does support the troops: I send requested items to units overseas (there are a few websites that do this) and donate money to organizations that help out troop families and wounded soldiers when they return. I donate frequent flier miles to get soldiers a chance to get home on leave. And I'm passionately against the war. I have never spit on anyone or called anyone a baby-killer. So if that makes me Hanoi Jane, then slap a wig on me and send me to Vietnam.

I'd be happy to support you too, Pub, if you decide to enlist. I'd also be out there protesting, donating and making a stink about bringing you home. but it looks like you're becoming what you claim to hate, someone standing on the sidelines calling people names, and generally being a smug know-it-all.

Fri Oct 13, 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Spotz, two things.
So you think I would make a good soldier because I “like blindly following orders and spouting tired slogans,” which makes me “a natural soldier.” Wow, nothing anti-soldier there from you. Perhaps you want to re-examine how you really feel about soldiers or do you consider them all mindless droids?
Second, although I never attacked you personally in my comments, you found a desire to personally attack me. And although it is none of your business, no I couldn’t become a soldier, because I could not pass the physical. And, even if they were to start a draft, I would be at the bottom of the order as I am the last in the line to carry the family name.
So perhaps you might like to rethink you attack.

Sun Oct 15, 09:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home