Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Saturday, September 23, 2006

So

As it turns out, Major League Baseball might either be in the playoffs right now or at least close, and I saw some hockey highlights on SportsCenter which means that I guess the hockey season has started too. As you may have guessed, I am not a fan of either sport. I think it is safe to say that football is now America’s sport in terms of television viewers, values of franchises, and fan passion.
If I ask someone here in DC if they know the Nationals score from their last game, most likely 99% will not, and probably about 98% wouldn’t even be able to name a player; I have attended a Nationals game and I could not even name you a player. I can do better with the DC United players and I have never even watched any of their games. And as for hockey, did they even play last season, or was that the season before that? I can’t remember, and most people don’t care.
But, if I ask someone the score from the Skins-Cowboys game the other night not only can most people give me the score, but most of them would be able to tell me what the Skins needed to do to win, why they lost, and how the coaches worked on those mistakes this week in practice.
Thank goodness for the NFL and college football, because March Madness is months away.

7 Comments:

Blogger quakerdave said...

Well, here in Philly, the Fightin's are making the baseball season interesting for a change, so we're paying attention. And we're all pulling for Ryan Howard.

And I {heart} hockey, and don't hold the lock-out from two seasns ago against them. The ticket prices are another story, but I'll be glad when the real games start soon.

As for football, after last Sunday's choke job, it looks like another .500 season for my Iggles...

Sat Sep 23, 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

I have no idea who Ryan Howard is, and even though I watched hockey during the Winter Olympics, I don’t see myself watching the NHL.

Sun Sep 24, 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

It's too bad you don't take more interest in your local clubs. Yes, the NFL is king right now, but I would venture a guess that people in your area aren't into the teams because, quite frankly, they aren't very good. A playoff campaign from either the Caps or the Nats would bring out "die hard" and "lifetime" fans from every corner of NoVa. I've seen it happen before in that area, when the Caps made a Stanley Cup run, only to get swept by the Detroit Red Wings. With the Skins, while they aren't all that good right now, they have the name players, an owner who is willing to spend on said name players, and a legendary coach...what's not to love? Plus, to be honest, there is just something about football. You should support your local teams, because, as I'm sure the folks in many former sports cities can tell you, there is no guarantee they'll be there tomorrow. And just for QD....
"Let's Go DEVILS.....Let's Go DEVILS!"

Mon Sep 25, 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Well, considering ticket prices, I just do not have the desire to spend that kind of money to support the “local team.” There is no such thing really as a local professional team. The players are not from DC, and with hockey and baseball, a lot of the players are not even from the country. It has bothered me for a long time when people would refer to their local team as WE, they are not on the team, they don’t play for the team, and the players are not part of the community either.
Maybe DC is just a one-horse town when it comes to sports, but playoff run or not, if the Capitals, Nationals, and Wizards all picked up and moved tomorrow to Oklahoma, it would not bother me. I figure if they did there would be more space in the Washington post sports section for Redskins, and college football coverage.

Tue Sep 26, 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

I'm right there with you on the WE thing. Man, that drives me nuts.

Tue Sep 26, 05:39:00 AM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

The only Devils I ever rooted for played for the eastern league in the 1960s and 1970s. They went away a long time ago.

Ryan Howard: 1st baseman. Big young guy. Hits a lot of long homeruns. Local hero. Soon-to-be MVP.

Tue Sep 26, 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

QD, sorry, don’t know him. I can name you maybe 10 guys who play professional baseball and probably about 8 of them play for the Yankees.

Thu Sep 28, 05:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home