Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Now they are going after my Pope

Last week in Germany, Pope Benedict XVI spoke about Islam and quoted a medieval text that characterized some of the teachings of Islam's founder as "evil and inhuman" and referred to spreading Islam "by the sword" (AP, September 17, 2006).

So what was the response from the Islamic world? Seven Christian Churches were firebombed in the West Bank, in Somalia an Italian nun was shot 4 times in the back and killed which was just hours after a Somali cleric condemned the remarks by Pope Benedict, in Pakistan angry Islamic protestors burned an effigy of the Pope, and police were ordered to step up security around Italy to protect Roman Catholic sites from possible terrorist attacks.

The absolutely ridiculous thing is that the media is calling on the Pope to do more than retract his comment, which he has done, but to apologize for his comments to prevent further violence by Muslims. Doesn’t the reaction to his comments prove his original point?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Murdough said...

Like your blog. I think we have alot of the same views, which is nice to see. I cannot stand what the muslims are doing right now. There is a HUGE war brewing and we will be right in the middle of it because it will be happening on our soil as well as all over the world.

Mon Sep 18, 12:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Pope 's point has been proven. He has also apologized fully, so it will be interesting to see if violence stops. Soemtimes I think it's a snowball effect with extremists....I mean, are there really that many Muslims out there who understand references to some ancient obscure text?

Mon Sep 18, 08:29:00 AM  
Blogger betmo said...

what are your thoughts about this whole issue of detaining people indefinitely without charge? muslim or not- this could feasibly spread to americans- what are your thoughts?

Mon Sep 18, 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Murda, I believe that the war will happen first in Europe if for no other reason than the close proximity to the Middle East and the large Muslim population in Europe. I also believe that if the terrorists were to attack Vatican City, where the bodies of many Popes have been laid to rest is attacked, that will start the war.
I hope and pray it does not come to that. A war between over a billion Muslims and over a billion Christians will make every war this world has ever seen combined, look like a day in the park.

Tue Sep 19, 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger Alec said...

I was curious to see your response to this, as a conservative Roman Catholic. I actually think Pope Benedict's apology was unwarranted. He said nothing truly offensive, and radical Islamists took the opportunity to distort what he said and react in a manner totally disproportionate to a perceived insult. I've written a bit on it on my own site, but I have really had my fill of this nonsense. Every group lives with ignorant and offensive comments. In this context, the comments were neither ignorant nor offensive on their face. And now we are all being called upon to placate violent extremists.

On the other hand, I was pleased to see that the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood accepted the Pope's apology. That, I suppose, is progress.

Tue Sep 19, 02:25:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

The Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood is also located in a country that is much more secular than say Iran or Saudi Arabia, and Egypt has a large Coptic Christian population. Any violence that would spread because of remarks by the Pope would affect the Coptic Christians in Egypt as well, and Egypt does not want a religious Civil War in their country.
I don’t know if the Pope’s comments warranted an apology or not. He made the statement to encourage dialogue between Christians and Muslims, but he could have simply asked for that rather than using this quote. However, having been to the Vatican and stood there in St. Peter’s Square for the Pope’s blessing, I will say that if they attack the Pope or the Vatican, I will be more upset than when the terrorists attacked the US on 9-11, because they are attacking religious symbols and an ancient church where Pope John Paul II is now buried.

Tue Sep 19, 01:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home