Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Bad Spinach

The Washington Post reports that the Food and Drug Administration and the state of California “searched nine California farms for evidence of spinach-borne E. coli…as the number of confirmed illnesses rose by 17 to 131” (Washington Post, September 20, 2006, D1). Of the “131 cases, 66 people have been hospitalized, 20 have experienced kidney failure, and one person has died” (Washington Post, September 20, 2006, D3). The search will cover more than 10,000 acres.

Now, I don’t think this is some sort of biological warfare by the Taliban, but I think it does call into question who is handling our food supply. I think we can all agree that those picking the spinach are doing “jobs Americans won’t do,” especially since they are searching in California. The article made no mention illegal workers, but we don’t know who is handling our foods but maybe it is time we began to find out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

It might be a bit of an over reaction to start "finding out" just who is handling our bagged spinach. While it is very important to find the source, I don't think we need background checks on spinach pickers. If you get sick because you had some bad fish, do you want more info on the Gortons Fisherman? Although, he's always been a bit shady with his rain coat and hat.....What's he hiding anyway?

Thu Sep 21, 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

From what I've been reading, this may be more a product of our current factory farming system of food production than anything else. There's some speculation that this spinach was contaminated by animal waste from farms next door to large fields.

Buy locally, buy organic. And don't forget to scrub your veggies before you eat them!

Sat Sep 23, 07:17:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Rogue, I do think it is important to know who is handling our food, just as it is important to know who is working at our airports. I remember a story from awhile back that did not get a lot of attention, but it talked about ICE doing a raid at Dulles airport because there were so many illegal immigrants working there. We know airplanes are a terrorist target, and yet there were people virtually unknown to the government checking bags and working on the planes with little supervision?
Six years ago if I had told you that terrorists were going to come to the US and take flight school classes in Florida and then hijack four commercial airliners and fly them into buildings in DC and NYC, you would have though I was crazy. I just don’t want someone to look back six years from now and wish someone had taken better care to figure out who was handling our foods.

Sat Sep 23, 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

QD, well I was concerned with the Spinach scare because I eat a lot of bagged Spinach. I prefer baby spinach salads to lettuce and I make a lot of pasta dishes with spinach although I typically boil the spinach first to make these dishes. And do we know for sure that you could only get the e coli virus from eating the spinach, what if you were simply handling the spinach while cooking? It is just a little scary to me.

Sat Sep 23, 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

Hey, it's so scary to us that we threw out all our bagged veggies, toot sweet. Spinach or no, it's gone. We're going strictly fresh stuff, but not for a couple more weeks, till this thing calms down.

Just in time for me to try to lose my Disney pounds. Got to hit that treadmill even harder now, I guess.

Sat Sep 23, 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Well I usually only buy fresh vegetables, or at least as fresh as the come in Shoppers, but I still cook almost all my vegetables with the exceptions of salads.

Sun Sep 24, 12:31:00 AM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

I'll worry more about the airports security than I will about who's putting spinach in a bag. QD is on point with the problem being a product of the farming/food production system.

Thu Sep 28, 05:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home