Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Where have you gone Gerry Cooney?


What ever happened to the Great White Hope of Heavyweight Boxing? Not so long ago there was the discussion that two white guys fighting over the Heavyweight Title in Boxing could only happen in the movies (Rocky IV). As it turns out it is going to happen sometime soon in real life, only the names might be harder to pronounce, and none of the fighters are from the US. Here is the Heavyweight Division as it stands right now by belt:

Oleg Maskaev – WBC Heavyweight Champion – Kazakhstan
Wladimir Klitschko – IBF Heavyweight Champion - Ukraine
Nikolay Valuev – WBA Heavyweight Champion – Russia
Sergei Liakhovich – WBO Heavyweight Champion – Belarus

Somewhere Stalin and Lenin are smiling.

8 Comments:

Blogger quakerdave said...

"I vill break you." - Drago.

Sat Aug 26, 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

Heavyweight boxing is in a sad state of affairs these days. With all the corruption in promoting boxing matches, and the increasing popularity of Mixed Martial Arts, i don't think anyone cares anymore. If you asked 10 people on the street, 10 of them couldn't tell you who the Heavyweight Champion of the WOrld was. While I enjoy "The Contender" on ESPN, and do watch Friday Night Fights fairly often, I know I'm in the minority of sports fans. There is no one to "capture our imagination," if you will. Holyfield began his comeback last weekend on cable TV, not PPV, and Mike Tyson has signed with Pride Fighting Championship. As far as Heavywieght Boxing is concerned, it's looking pretty mediocre out there.
On a side note, I named my second dog after Ivan Drago. He's an American Dingo, thus Ivan Dingo.

Sat Aug 26, 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Heavyweight Boxing is still one of America’s greatest sports, and represents a microcosm of America’s social transformation over the years including being an important side note to race relations both in the US and the world. The fact that it is so non-existent here in the US is a shame.

Sun Aug 27, 02:00:00 AM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

For a great boxing story, check out "Undeniable Blackness", it was a PBS special, I think Ken Burns may have done it. It was fantastic. It is sad that heavyweight boxing is so non-existent in our sports scene, but with all the corruption and people like DOn King, how can it possibly thrive?

Mon Aug 28, 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

I saw parts of the documentary but I did not care for it. I would love to see one though on John L. Sullivan, the last bare-knuckle Champion.

Mon Aug 28, 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

Have you seen the current "un-official" bare knuckle champion Kimbo Slice? Scary. I'm a little surprised you didn't like it the documentary. It is a great story, about a larger than life character who really did live in someone else's world on his own terms. And his skill was just ridiculous.

Tue Aug 29, 05:34:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

I just didn’t like the documentary because to me the guy represented everything I don’t like about modern athletes, how he thought he could get away with anything simply because he could play a sport.

Wed Aug 30, 04:19:00 AM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

Fair enough, I didn't get that from the doc. I took it more as him enjoying life and doing his own thing in spite of the fact that he was being discriminated against the entire time. It wasn't like blacks had an easy go of it in those days. I liked that he was dominant and unapologetic.

Wed Aug 30, 05:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home