Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Monday, August 28, 2006

Talladega Nights – The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Yes I went to go see the movie. With the Skins having played Saturday night or at least they had a game Saturday night because it looked like none of them actually showed up to play, and since Bristol was Saturday night too, I had some free time and went to see the movie. I went to the 11:00 matinee which only cost me $5.00 and it was worth every penny. There were a lot of ridiculous moments in the movie as far as reality goes (the Formula 1 driver from France who comes to NASCAR drinks a cup of espresso during a race and reads a book during the race, Ricky Bobby wins a race in reverse, and often there looked to be maybe 20 cars on the track). But, the movie was funny and I don’t think it was all that derogatory to white Southern males. There were all stereotypical staples of white Southern males being dumb and ignorant, jokes about misguided interpretations of praying and saying grace before meals, and jokes about drinking and country music, but nothing too offensive. For a comedy, for a Sunday afternoon, and for five bucks, it was a great movie.

5 Comments:

Blogger quakerdave said...

passed on this: it's in the NetFlix que. Went to see "Invincible," about Eagle legend Vince Papale.

Made me want to put on the pads and hit something. Passively, of course.

Mon Aug 28, 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Ooh, I can't STAND SNL casties.

Mon Aug 28, 09:54:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

QD, I think I will see Invincible when it comes out on HBO, I know the story, and from my trip to Philly I learned more about it, but I am too much of a Skins fan to get into a movie about the Eagles.

Brooke, it was so funny though.

Mon Aug 28, 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

I'll probably wait for the DVD on this one. It's rare that I'm interested in a WIll Ferrell movie, but it is NASCAR based, so that saves it. Why does Will Ferrell always have an underpants scene in everything he does? I'm tired of him and his tighty whities.

Tue Aug 29, 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Yeah he gets down to his underwear a few times in the movie. But one of the best parts I think is that he named his two kids Walker and Texas Ranger, or TR for short.

Wed Aug 30, 04:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home