Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Monday, August 21, 2006

Senator George Allen


Recently Sen. Allen has received a lot of negative press about a comment he made at a GOP rally in southwestern Virginia, and the old shots on Allen reappeared in the media accusing him of various things. Meanwhile, his opponent Jim Webb has seen his poll numbers rise as the media has gone on the offensive about Sen. Allen. I think maybe we should look a little more at Jim Webb before the media decides to hang Senator Allen out to dry.
Webb, who is a Vietnam veteran and received many medals in Vietnam including two purple hearts, was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Reagan. In fact, Webb was a Republican until fairly recently. I have a great deal of respect for Jim Webb because of his service to this country. But, he has also made some un-PC missteps in his political career that have been virtually ignored by the media.
According to the Washington Post:

During Webb’s Democratic primary campaign against lobbyist Harris Miller, Webb’s campaign distributed a flier in southwestern Virginia that included a caricature of Miller with wads of money coming out of his pocket. Miller, who is Jewish, decried the flier as anti-Semitic. Webb has said the flier was not intended to be offensive…
Webb, who once said the Confederate memorial in Arlington “has a special place in my life,” said he does not plan to make an issue of Allen’s past (Washington Post, August 19, 2006, A5).

So it seems both candidates have made some missteps and yet the media only seems to concentrate on Allen’s. The big difference between the two men is their stance on the War in Iraq. Allen is for the war and Webb is against. Webb has little experience in Virginia politics, while Allen has been a Virginia Senator for six years and governor for four. I still support Allen, and I believe he is one of the best Senators in Washington right now. But, I am not attacking Webb either. I simply question the double-standard given to Webb by the media.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

I'm no fan of George Allen, but he is getting the shaft on this one. I got the impression he was really just trying to make the guy feel silly, maybe being a bit of a bully, nothing more. (I once had the pleasure of declining to interview Allen on air at a county fair, and he made some crack, to try to bully me-didn't work, 'cause I didn't really care at teh time) Seriously, when was the last time you heard the word "macaca" used in ANY way, shape or form? Oh, THAT'S racist. I didn't see Webb's flier, but it sounds pretty harmless, it shows a guy with money...so that makes it anti-semitic? Everybody is so damn sensitive these days!

Tue Aug 22, 05:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concurr. Based on my moderate views, Allen is horrible. So far right its like he's purposely trying to appear that way. But he is getting the shaft here. Its all innocent.

Pub, you'd be better to take a look at our main man John Warner if you want to see a real senator.

Tue Aug 22, 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Rogue, I had the opportunity to interview Allen, the night before his first Senate win when he flew into Charlottesville for one last campaign stop. I thought he could not be more personable and I decided that night that I would vote for him in any election.
Anon, as I just said, I really like Allen, and I will vote for him in November and again in ’08 should I get the opportunity. But, I do not like Warner. He is too “aristocratic” for me and has one of the worst records in the Senate for being in favor of illegal immigration. Warner voted for S. 2611 so I will never vote for him again.

Wed Aug 23, 01:09:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Oh and I think, from what I read and remember, Macaca, is a derogatory term for black people in Belgium. So, who knows about this one. The fact that the kid is not even black makes me all the more believe it was some stupid nickname and not a slur.

Wed Aug 23, 01:11:00 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

The other day, I went to a rally for George Allen. This was the first time I've even attended a political rally. I found him very personable.

He does have a sharp tongue at times. For that matter, so do I!

Thu Aug 24, 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger Rogue Mariner said...

My impression was one of a guy who seemed to think an awful lot of himself, and wasn't really pleased that I didn't. HIs wife also tried to convince me to interview him, telling me what a treat it would be, not only for my listeners, but for me as well. HA! Although, she was very, very nice, nothing bad to say about her. But, to be fair, to run for office over and over again, I guess you'd have to think a lot of yourself. Seems that many politicians are getting caught making comments that aren't really PC these days. If I'm running for office, I would think I'd do my best to keep those comments to myself.

Thu Aug 24, 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Alec said...

I was under the impression that Allen's background has something to do with it. He speaks French, let's not forget, and he has had two different explanations ("I made it up to refer to his hair" and "I had no idea what it meant"). Given his French background, the fact that his mother lived in Tunisia and the fact that the French word is meant to describe North Africans, I think we can safely say that this was not a "mistake." Especially not when followed by "Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia." I would not defend his opponent's esteem for the Confederate flag (which should be far more controversial than it is), but the caricature is very speculative. Unless the flier portrayed Miller in a stereotypical fashion beyond being rich, that is quite a reach.

So no, Allen is a liar and a racist. Call it what it is.

Thu Aug 24, 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Ok, have you seen photos of the kid he was referring to? The kid plainly looks Indian and not African. And if it was a racial slur why pick one that almost no one knows? Sure, we know what Macaca means now, but who did a month ago? And the fact that he knows French means nothing. I know Spanish but I don’t know the slang term for monkey in Spanish. You are going for too big a stretch there on that one.
I don’t know why he said it, or what he meant, I don’t think anyone ever will. But, Allen is a tremendous Senator and has a dynamic personality, so I am going to keep voting for him, and most of the people I know here in Virginia will too.

Thu Aug 24, 11:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home