Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Monday, August 14, 2006

Mel Gibson and “The Passion”

Here was something I did not know from the movie. According to the Washington Post, “Gibson…filmed his own hand nailing Jesus to the cross” (Washington Post, August 14, 2006, C3). And according to James Merritt, “pastor of Cross Pointe Church near Atlanta and a former president of the 16-million-member Southern Baptist Convention…the highly publicized use of Gibson’s hand in “The Passion” was a symbolic way of saying ‘that Christ was not primarily killed by the Jews; He died a voluntary death for the sins of the world, for the sins of us all’” (Washington Post, August 14, 2006, C3).

3 Comments:

Blogger quakerdave said...

Are there subtitles in that scene saying "This is Mel Gibson's hand, by the way"?

Just asking.

Tue Aug 15, 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

Hey, did you read this, publius?:

"Prosecutors plan to keep an eye on Madonna's weekend concert in Duesseldorf to see if the pop diva repeats the mock crucifixion scene that has drawn fire from religious leaders."

It's an AP story. Thought you might be interested.

Tue Aug 15, 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

No there are no subtitles for that scene and this was the first that I had ever heard of it. And I have heard that the Germans might go after Madonna for this.
I do love those Germans!

Wed Aug 16, 11:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home