Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Friday, July 07, 2006

London Tunnel and Bus Bombings


“A two-minute silence is observed at King's Cross station in London on Friday. Four explosions from suicide bombers one year ago killed 52 people” (Associated Press, July 7, 2006).

I read on a blog the other day someone discussing what to write on September 11th. This being the first year I have a blog, and God willing I am around to write something come September 11th, I don’t know what I will even write. In some ways today is a bit or practice for when that September day comes.

One year ago on Thursday, July 7, 2005, I woke up in my hotel room in Venice, Italy. The person I was traveling with and I got cleaned up and went down for breakfast, packed our bags up and headed back to Frankfurt, Germany. We walked to a water taxi, got on with about 30 to 40 other people to the bus station and got in a cab to take to the airport just outside of Venice at an old Air Force base. We boarded the plane and made the short flight to another airport which was an old US Air Force base outside of Frankfurt where we got on a bus for the hour and a half bus ride and headed to the main train station in Frankfurt. We then got on the Frankfurt metro and rode out to her flat. It was already mid to late afternoon at this point as we walked down to her apartment and stopped to buy a couple of Pilsners and then went up to drop off our stuff. We went inside and sat down and barely had time to turn on the TV to the only English-speaking station in Germany, the BBC, when the phone rang. I starred in amazement at the television talking about the London bombings while she talked on the phone to her parents who wanted to know if we were alright as they knew we were traveling from one US ally to another. Her brother was coming in to Frankfurt that same day from Barcelona and her parents wanted to know if we had heard from him yet. He was arriving into Frankfurt that day and taking the same metro we had just been on to her apartment. She told her parents we were fine, I called my parents to tell them I was fine, and a few hours later her brother made it into Frankfurt fine as well.

I only mention this because so often we go about our day and our daily lives, no matter how unordinary that day might be in our normal routine, oblivious to the world around us. The world is a dangerous place and sometimes we get too caught up in the routine or our own daily activities and we forget that there are so many things around us that we don’t know and people around us who can turn an ordinary day into an unexpected tragedy. The people in London one year ago who were on their way to work did not think that day was going to be their last, but for 52 of them it was.

I often make posts on here about nothing or that might seem fun. I also know that there are only a few people out there who read this page of mine. I write things on here sometimes because I find a need to get things off my chest but mostly to remind others and myself that there are many people out there and many things out there that are changing our lives in unexpected and harmful ways. Stay extra vigilant and find ways to combat those that want to harm us and change our lives. America is the greatest country on Earth because we change the world rather than the world changing us, but that is no longer the case. We can no longer afford to stand on the sidelines and let the world happen and instead we need to use everything in our power to make sure the evil in the world does not harm us or change who we are.

Today London’s police chief warned that more attacks on the UK are being planned. Today the FBI announced that they have stopped a plan to blow up subway tunnels into New York City. Recently, a group of terrorists in Miami were arrested who wanted to blow up the Sears Tower in Chicago. And we all remember 9-11. We all have survived so far but mostly by luck than anything else. We know that the government alone can not protect us from terrorists so we must be on watch as well. The world is more dangerous than it has ever been and even if we only take a few minutes out of our day to do something, we need to stay active even if that means only passing on more information to others or writing our elected officials to remind them of what is important. Remember that all political issues mean nothing when we are all at danger.

May the world never have to face another terrorist attack and may God Bless us all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Publius said...

Does this mean no one else remembers the London bombings? Or are you like me and it hit too close to home?

Sun Jul 09, 06:23:00 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I remember them!

We can thank the NYT for blowing this operation... Although the terrorists were stopped, we had to round them up faster than we would have, and who knows what that may have cost us?

Mon Jul 10, 01:29:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Brooke, I am talking about the London bombings. I have talked to some relatives from England and they have told me that prior to the bombings, Muslims were creating their own separate society in England and often coming there illegally or overstaying their visas and the government let it go. Since then, the UK has begun to crack down on mosques that preach overthrow of the English government and the west and radical Muslims have been deported. The bombings were a wake-up call to England but did not bring about the reaction the bombers probably wanted.

Tue Jul 11, 01:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home