Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Saturday, July 15, 2006

BOO to Sports Illustrated

This week’s issue of Sports Illustrated put 5 baseball players on the cover, none of whom I have heard of, and in the top left corner put a small picture of Fabio Cannavaro, the captain of the Italian World Cup team, holding the World Cup trophy with the caption “Forza Italia!” If the fact that five New York Mets players got the cover over the World Cup champion was not bad enough, there was a three and a half page article on the Mets on the inside plus a two-page photo spread to begin the article. A story on the new Cleveland Browns’ WR Joe Jurevicious got a full-page picture plus a two and a half page article, a story on Wimbledon which about 3 people watched got two pages and three and a half of photos, and an article about the over-the-hill Andre Agassi was deemed worthy of nine pages and a full page photo. And the World Cup coverage, what did Sports Illustated dedicate to the World’s most popular sport and to a game watched by over a billion people? Well the World Cup got a two page story and a full page photo.

That is just a poor showing by Sports Illustrated.

7 Comments:

Blogger betmo said...

i am going to go out on a limb here and say it is because most subscribers are american men who care more about baseball and american football. soccer here doesn't get alot of respect and hey- we didn't win so joe schmo doesn't care. being sports illiterate and a non subscriber(plus a woman to boot) i wouldn't know first hand :)

Sun Jul 16, 06:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll see if I can talk to the folks at sports illustrated about making a magazine that suits just your interests...c'mon, that's like complaining that Forbes does too many articles on rich white guys, instead of focusing on the guy who runs that great Mom and Pop restaurant down the street. Yeah, it'd be nice, but only 6 people would care.

Mon Jul 17, 05:30:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Anon, but that is just it, I am not talking about the Mom and Pop stand, I am talking about a game that was watched by nearly one-third of the people on the planet. Maybe 40 some million watch the Superbowl and almost no one in any other country watches, and yet for a game watched by 3 or 4 times that number, the game gets less coverage than a football player changing teams. And who are all these tennis fans for SI to devote more time to? I know you watched the game and I watched the game and I think we are both subscribers, and yet did you watch a single Wimbledon match?

Mon Jul 17, 07:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, yes I did watch a good bit of Wimbledon. I played on the HS Tennis team, and look forward to Wimbledon every year. SI is pretty much a US based magazine, and they have to serve their core audience, Betmo summed up what they want. I wish they had better hockey coverage, but I also know that I'm one of about 7 people in the states that cares about that game, and I find my hockey info elsewhere. For good overall sports coverage, I go to slam.canoe.ca, it's a Canadian sports site, and they cover everything. Even curling. Yes, all the curling news that's fit to print is there and waiting for your eager eyes!

Tue Jul 18, 05:42:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Anon, I am not asking for wall-to-wall coverage of the World Cup in SI, but I do think they did a disservice by having so little coverage. I don’t have the numbers but I wonder what people watched more of in this country, Wimbledon or the World Cup. Since they were both on at the same time, I would venture the World Cup, so wouldn’t it make sense for more coverage?

Tue Jul 18, 04:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe, but also, Wimbledon is a yearly event, WOrld Cup every four years. People here just don't care that much, and the early US exit doesn't help. I do agree it's too bad they didn't have more coverage, but at the same time, if soccer just isn't that big here. ESPN the magazine had quite a bit of coverage, but with ABC and ESPN carrying the games, they sort of had a little extra motivation. I think you'd be surprised at how many people actually do watch Wimbledon.

Wed Jul 19, 05:39:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Anon, I wish I had paid closer attention to the Post because they usually give out the ratings for the week and I could have compared how the World Cup did vs. Wimbledon. But I am more than willing to wager a guess that the World Cup significantly outdrew Wimbledon. And maybe you are right, the people who like soccer more than likely play it to some degree, while the people who read SI most likely haven’t gotten up off their couch since the NFL Draft if only to check their fantasy football team.

Thu Jul 20, 04:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home