Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Southern Virginia

I got to spend the weekend in Southern Virginia not far from the North Carolina border and went into Greensboro, NC on Friday night. Greensboro is a great town and reminds me of a small Atlanta without all the traffic or the skyline and is more Southern than Atlanta now.

But, I noticed something more important about being in “The South” of Southern Virginia. Real rednecks don’t want to be called rednecks and don’t actively try to show off being rednecks, although they can’t really help it. Whereas people in the DC Metro area who watch NASCAR or the Blue Collar Comedy Tour and listen to country music will wear a “Redneck Pride” on the sleeves although they drive SUVs and live in McMansions. I fit like a glove down there but more because I can talk to the talk, but in spending time with actual rednecks I learned I can’t walk the walk. Fishing, hunting, and wide-open spaces with no traffic and few people seems like the Dream place to live except those people who live there don’t feel the same way.

It seems the grass is always greener on the other side.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usually, when people thump their chests and declare themselves to "BE" part of a group, you can bet they aren't. Look at all the jackasses who put Wiccan themed bumperstickers all over their cars and tell everyone within earshot, how "they're wiccan" and "they have 'different' beliefs" stuff like that. Just ridiculous. But, people want to belong to some group, it just seems to be the way humans are wired. While annoying, in the long run, harmless...I guess.

Wed Jun 28, 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

I have never seen Wicca stickers on a car but I would assume they look like pentagrams even if I did. What I found interesting is that the people who are rednecks don’t want people to think they are, and those who aren’t want people to think they are.

Wed Jun 28, 02:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home