Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Shopping

I did some shopping yesterday and went to CVS and Shoppers Food Warehouse.
At CVS I was dropping off some film to be developed when I noticed that the film envelope was in English but under each blank it was also written in Spanish. Normally I don’t even develop film at a store and instead use the computer to print photos from my digital camera, but I had a disposable that I had filled and I wanted to see what was on there. This is just another example of our bilingual society.
At Shoppers, I walked into the fruits and vegetable section first which is also where they sell balloons and flowers. They had maybe 15 Mylar balloons that were already filled and available for purchase. They were all get well soon or Happy Birthday balloons except for the one that was a giant Mexican flag. There were no American flag balloons, only the one Mexican flag balloon. As Cinco de Mayo was a month ago, I am not sure why they would be selling this balloon or why it was so prominent among the others. I have been to 7 different European countries in my recent travels, and I can not remember finding any of them that sold balloons or t-shirts that showed the flag or another country unless it was soccer related clothing. Can anyone imagine a grocery store in Mexico selling USA balloons?

2 Comments:

Blogger betmo said...

probably a leftover that hasn't sold yet. that's capitalism. merchants see an opportunity for a new market and they take it. bottom line is- all about the dinero.

Fri Jun 02, 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

No, it was not a leftover. It was still full and floated; those balloons don’t last real long and Cinco de Mayo was almost a month ago.
Part of me was tempted to buy it and then pop it, but then I figured they would just blow up another one and someone else would buy it.

Fri Jun 02, 02:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home