Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Robbed


I thought my Czech Republic team was robbed, but the USA got screwed by the ref against Italy which ended in a 1-1 tie. I understand if the world does not like us but that should not influence the refs which it clearly looked like it did. The piss-poor ref in this game is a guy from Uruguay and was suspended from being a ref in the last World Cup because of poor referring 8 years ago.

The USA is not completely out but there chances are not looking good. They still have not scored a goal in this World Cup with their one goal this game being scored by an Italian player on his own goal.

If Italy beats the Czech Republic though and the USA beats Ghana they will get to move on though. I am going to have to cheer for Italy now against my Czech Republic.
BOO to the refs again

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That referee was pretty pathetic. The first red card was, as the announcers said, a "make good" red card. The second was just ridiculous. Lucky for the USA Italy managed to score on themselves or they'd be looking at an 0-2 record. I have to say, i was impressed with the US effort, they put up a much bigger fight than I expected. Not trying to slight the US team, I just had figured on a much better performance from the Italian squad.

Mon Jun 19, 05:28:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

I don’t believe in make-up calls, especially since there was nothing to “make-up.” The Italian player who received a red card should have gotten a red card for throwing a vicious elbow that left an American player bloody and required three stitches to close right there on the sideline. More yellow and red cards have been given out already in the 2006 World Cup than in all of the 2002 World Cup and we still aren’t even out of the first round. Team USA might already be in the second round if it were not for these refs because they would have played a man up for the game rather than a man down. Instead they have a tough game this Thursday without two of their players and face a tough Ghana team that will also be without two of their players.
Luckily Koller might still not be playing for the Czechs and Italy should win their game on Thursday. Of course even if Team USA does make it to the second round it means they would have to face Brazil.

Mon Jun 19, 06:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter if YOU believe in "make good" calls or not, because that is exactly what it was. You're right, the Italian player 100% deserved his red card, it was blatant, but the ref in question seemed to think he had to do something to "even it out." Did the US get screwed? Yeah, they sure did. Was it the difference between a birth in the 2nd round or not, we'll never know. Silly to speculate about what "might have happened," because you can only deal with what DID happen. I'm only pissed that the US has the 9:55a game on Thursday, and I don't have a TV at work.

Tue Jun 20, 05:30:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

If the ref wanted to “even it out” then why did the USA get two bad red cards? That is not even.
And I am looking forward to tomorrow’s game with Ghana. I am going to go out get some McDonalds breakfast and sit and watch the game.

Wed Jun 21, 08:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home