Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Me vs. The Christian Right

As some of you know I have said repeatedly that I am a social conservative and feel very strongly in it and in my beliefs. I believe social conservatives in general want a better, more decent, and more law abiding society.

Like the Christian Right I am for school prayer, keeping “Under God” in the Pledge, allowing the Ten Commandments to be posted in public buildings, I am against gay marriage, I believe the sanctity of marriage has become a farce, the family union no longer exists in too many households, that we are becoming too secular, and that not only do people want to take the Christ out of Christmas but they want to take Christmas out of the “Holiday Season.”

I hope you noticed some things were missing there.

I am Pro-Life but it is not a black or white issue. If the mother’s life is in danger the mother should have a choice. If a woman is raped she should not have to live with a daily reminder of that ordeal for 9 months. If a child was molested, no child should be having babies or forced to have a baby. In cases of incest especially against the will of the mother no girl or woman should be forced to have a child. But, I am against using abortions as a form of birth control and I am completely opposed to the grotesque practice of partial-birth abortions. I believe a minor should get parental permission to have an abortion, if an underage person can’t have their tonsils taken out without permission from a parent or guardian they definitely should not be allowed to have a child taken out of them. I know this still leaves a lot of unresolved scenarios and situations such as a woman who simply does not want to have a baby but got pregnant, but we need to start with a middle ground.

I am for teaching abstinence in schools, but we are all taught that and it does not work. We also need to teach kids all the dangers of sex including pregnancy, STDs, and the emotional impact of engaging in such behavior. Kids and adults simply don’t know enough, there are plenty of STDs that I do not know about and I have no idea which STDs can still be contracted even when using a condom and which STDs can still be contracted from oral sex. If I can sit here with a Master’s Degree and say that than I am sure there are plenty of kids not out of High School or even Middle School who can say the same. I don’t want condoms to be handed out in school but I do want kids to know the dangers that are involved anytime they decide to engage in any sexual activity and right now there are simply not being told.

I believe in Creationism and I believe in Evolution. But, until a scientist can prove to me creationism it should not be taught in the classroom if all they can use as evidence is the bible, unless they can also explain how Moses parted the Red Sea as well and can do it too.

I am against gay marriage but I am not against gay people, to me there is a difference. A person can be gay and not get married or engage in sexual activity, any snide comments aside, there are many Priests who forgo both and live happy, peaceful, and productive lives.

I believe there is too much violence and nudity on television, in music, in movies, and video games, but it is not the sole responsibility of the government to protect our children from it, parents also need to share in the responsibility.

I believe a person has the right to not believe in God, I don’t hold the same beliefs and don’t think I ever could, but I neither damn them to Hell nor do I want them to force or push their beliefs on me or society. I will not tell them to be Catholic or say Catholic prayers, or convert to Catholicism if they don’t try to do the same.

I believe a salesperson or clerk has the right to not tell me Marry Christmas if they do not celebrate Christmas, but no salesperson or clerk should be prevented from telling someone Merry Christmas.

I believe in morality, but I do not believe I have the final say on what is and isn’t moral.

1 Comments:

Blogger Publius said...

I really thought this was going to be a popular post, there was a post on here from Sarah but she deleted it but I wish it was still here. I think it is important for people to know that the “Christian Right” is not a monolithic group and that there are varied and smarter thoughts going on than only what is misperceived.

Thu Jun 29, 02:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home