Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Catholic Church

I have said here repeatedly that I am a Catholic and Irish Catholic at that. But, my Church has been a strong supporter of illegal immigrant rights, and recently I learned that while my parents were attending a Mass in eastern North Carolina, the church had a special collection for local immigrants. It is not too difficult to put two and two together and know that this collection was most likely for illegal immigrants.
I have long been proud of the Church’s support and aid for the poor and believe it was one of the Church’s greatest strengths in helping the poor. But, I am against the Church holding collections for illegal immigrants to aid them in staying in this country illegally. The easier we make it for them to stay the more difficult it will be to get them to leave. Obviously Catholicism is the predominant religion in Mexico and the rest of Latin and South America, but the money should be going to those churches for the people there instead. Growing up I remember collections for the children in Africa and other poor countries around the world and my parents would give money during those special collections so the poor in other countries might have food and other necessities. But, in giving the money to illegals in this country does not see the forest for the trees. It only encourages more illegal immigration and more special collections to assist the growing number of poor illegal immigrants who come to this country and it takes away money from the poor who are Americans and go without food and other necessities as well. America’s poor should not have to compete with poor illegals for our charity.
Yes, I am aware how “un-Christian” my statement here sounds, but giving charity to poor illegals not does not deal with the reality of the situation and it takes away from charity that could be given to poor Americans.

4 Comments:

Blogger betmo said...

how do your parents feel?

Thu Jun 29, 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Betmo, my mother was once under the belief that we are a nation of immigrants, as she is an immigrant herself. But she, like so many immigrants before her, was a legal immigrant. She now falls closely along my ideals but only after she talked to her priest and he told her that we should all be Christian but that being Christian also meant having respect for the law. She gives to the poor and she gives to the Church, but she did not give here because she too understands that it is only a band-aid on a gunshot wound to give money to those who are here illegally.

Thu Jun 29, 02:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And your father?

Thu Jun 29, 02:59:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Anon, my dad believes the same as me, but is not as vocal about it.

Thu Jun 29, 10:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home