Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Sunday, May 07, 2006

World Cup Soccer

Now, I am not much of a soccer fan; pro and college football, college basketball, and NASCAR take up the bulk of my sports watching time, but, I am starting to get a bit of World Cup fever. I think it’s hard not to considering the importance the World Cup has around the world. In the World Cup an actual world champion is named because the whole world plays and not like the NBA which names a world champion when only the U.S. and Toronto play.
But, the World Cup is important because unlike the Winter Olympics which are made up of numerous sports that no one cares about and few countries that actually compete, every country in the world can participate in the World Cup if they put a team on the field that can win. And here is the best part, as it turns out the U.S. is actually really good, in fact they are ranked in the top 5 in the world. After years of barely being a top 30 team in the world, now we are now one of the best. But, our players are booed wherever they go, the crowds taunt them, and when they play in some counties the crowd will boo during the National Anthem.
I doubt I will get to Germany for the games, although I would love to, but I know that this year I am going to watch and I am going to cheer. I watched in 1994 when the games were here in the U.S., and I watched in 2002 when the games were in Korea and Japan, but this summer I think I will become a real fan of the games. I am not going to become a fan because the U.S. is good this year but because I think it is important to cheer on our fellow Americans as they face the world in a true world-wide competition. June 12, is the first game, and although they are playing a team from one of my ancestral countries, I am going to cheer for our guys. I hope you do the same.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be nice to see a real national movement of sorts to get behind the team. Something like the World Cup could do alot for a sense of Unity here. Granted,we're a much larger Country than most participating, but if our fans showed half the fervor of the European fans, we'd be looking good. I'm with you on this one Publius. Now, put something else up so I can start disagreeing with you again...I need a shower.

Mon May 08, 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

I don’t think soccer will ever be a big sport in the U.S. like it is in so many other countries. I mean when you think of say England and sports you think of soccer and maybe tennis, rugby, and cricket. No other country in the world has a sports dominated culture like the United States and no other country has as many sports as we do. Soccer has to be far down on the list of Americans sports behind football both college and pro, basketball both college and pro, baseball, NASCAR, and that still leaves hockey, golf, and tennis. But, I would love to see some real national support for the men’s soccer team in the World Cup and even better when I watch the games see the Stars and Stripes at a few of those games too.

Mon May 08, 04:39:00 PM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

The US can get to the semis, if they can get out of a tough group. I'll be watching: every game will be on television, for free, someplace this time. That'll be good for the game.

Wow: bipartisanship. Unreal.

Wed May 10, 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Actually, I think that ESPN, ESPN 2, and ABC will all be broadcasting the games, although I don’t know if they will be showing them live or not. If they are not, I know that when they were in Korea, I watched them on the Internet, or at least watched the real-time updates.

Thu May 11, 10:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home