Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

WNBA


Now, I don’t watch the WNBA because I don’t watch the NBA and I am concerned that somehow in watching, the overpaid NBA players might get some of that television revenue. But, I am tempted to watch some this season. I saw in the Washington Post Sports Section this morning that the Washington Mystics have a rookie from Western Illinois who is 6’7” (Washington Post, May 23, 2006). Yes, that is six feet and seven inches, but the more amazing thing is that Zane Teilane is only 170 pounds at 6’7”.
By comparison her teammate Latasha Byears is 5’11” and 206 pounds.

6 Comments:

Blogger quakerdave said...

Women's basketball - college or pro - is a superior game, if you like the game for the GAME and not for the flash. We started watching Rutgers' womens' team after my son started going there, and then started watching the women's NCAA games a lot this past season. It is much more of a team game, and I think there's more in the way of team-oriented skill involved. It's not about the dunk and the after-dunk showboating.

Tue May 23, 09:01:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Well, I do watch NCAA men’s basketball, I think there is something wrong with you if you don’t like March Madness though. But, the only two professional sports I will watch are the NFL and NASCAR. And I will watch those two because I believe those athletes earn their pay because there is the chance of serious injury if not death. True, they are still overpaid in the NFL, but their money is not guaranteed and unlike baseball or basketball, every game does count. In baseball you can lose what 80 times and still maybe make the playoffs?

Tue May 23, 10:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quakerdave is spot on. The women's game is really a much more "pure" example of the game. I called some HS girls games a year or two ago, and found them to be much more enjoyable. I also get the feeling that the women play a little more for the love of the game, as they don't get nearly the attention or glory that the mens teams do. And on a base level, who wouldn't want to watch women rather than men?

Wed May 24, 05:35:00 AM  
Blogger betmo said...

i am just curious as to how you can be 6'7" and be 170 lbs. that's like a stick with legs. i'm surprised she doesn't get blown away with a strong breeze.

Wed May 24, 09:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Manute Bol of the WNBA!

Wed May 24, 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

That’s what I thought was so amazing. I think I was about 170 pounds when I was in middle school and I was only 6’2”.

Wed May 24, 02:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home