Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Friday, May 12, 2006

Whites are only 55% of the population?

How is this not the number one story in every media outlet right now? I am a couple days late to it but only because I found out about it today.
From The Washington Post, Of U.S. Children Under 5, Nearly Half Are Minorities (May 10, 2006).

Nearly half of the nation’s children under 5 are racial or ethnic minorities, and the percentage is increasing mainly because the Hispanic population is growing so rapidly, according to a census report released today.
Hispanics are the nation’s largest and fastest-growing minority group. They accounted for 49 percent of the country’s growth from 2004 to 2005, the report shows. And the increase in young children is largely a Hispanic story, driving 70 percent of the growth in children younger than 5…
One in three Americans is now a member of a minority group…
…minorities are a majority of children younger than 5 in the Washington area…also true in Miami, Houston, Los Angles and other high-immigration regions.

The accompanying chart showed that as of July 1, 2005 where these census figures were taken from, the U.S. had a population of 296,410,404 where 33% were minorities, 67% were White, 2% were of mixed race, 14% Hispanic, 13% Black, and 4% Asian. At this time there were 20,303,724 children under the age of 5 and 45% were minorities, 55% were White, 3% were of mixed race, 22% were Hispanic, 4% were black, and 15% were Asian.

How does 14% of the population account for 49% of the growth? And how has the Asian population which accounted for only 4% of the total population account for 15% of children under 5, that is more than triple their number?

And here is a very startling question, where are all the black children? As of July 1, 2005, 13% of the population was Black but only 4% of the children under 5 were black? Regardless of whether you think a more ethnically diverse population is a good thing or not, the article made no mention of what appears to be a complete dwindling of Blacks in this country to possibly only 4% of the population. Many of you often criticize me when I give you population statistics, but I have said before that there was a problem in this country were 50% of black students do not graduate high school and 60% of black males who do not graduate high school end up in jail by their 30s. Perhaps someone would like to explain to me again how I was exaggerating the effects of system that is allowing black males to fall to the wayside.

6 Comments:

Blogger Oncorhynchus Mykiss said...

Your last sentence is the most important in that post. Regardless of one's political affiliation, one must at least acknowledge that young black males in this country have more obstacles and less of a sunny outlook than most folks in america. My experiences in my job and others have and continue to reiterate the fact that black males are facing a crisis. Not pointing fingers, not assigning blame, but it's a fact.

Sat May 13, 07:46:00 PM  
Blogger Truth-Pain said...

I happened to catch a few of your comments at Quaker Agitato's blog and came by to visit. Nice blog, clean, concise, informative... I will be a regular reader. Cheers!

Sun May 14, 01:34:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

I don’t know what these obstacles are though. There are plenty of jobs out there for people without a high school education that pay enough to feed a family because many businesses that hire those with limited education are actively recruiting in the black community. Oh wait, no they are going to day labor sites to hire illegals at lower wages.
I am sure you are not 100% on board with that assessment, but I hope that you can see how there is the possibility that this might be part of the problem.

Mon May 15, 12:57:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Dardin, welcome aboard. I am of course of a particular viewpoint and outlook but I am willing and open to discussion and debate and will admit when I am wrong and change if I am.

Mon May 15, 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger Oncorhynchus Mykiss said...

I absolutely agree that this is part of the problem. And part of the point of a "crisis" is the fact that black males disproportionately must vie for those jobs.

Mon May 15, 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Mykiss, I almost shed a tear knowing that you can fathom my point on this issue. Yes, there is a problem that low paying jobs that are light on education and heavy on backbreaking work are all that are available, but these jobs must be available if black males have any option other than crime to feed their families. Many jobs require education; I don’t want someone as a doctor who dropped out of high school, or as a lawyer, or many other jobs that necessitate higher education or a minimum of a high school diploma. It’s sort of a “take what you can get” option, but right now there is little for them to take.

Mon May 15, 02:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home