Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Iraqi Flag




Whatever happened to the “New Iraqi Flag,” didn’t the U.S. decide in 2004 that we didn’t like the old one, so the U.S. government was kind enough to design a new flag for the Iraqi people? Somehow we all forgot about this and yet I am not quite sure what happened. I remember that the big debate was that the new design looked too much like the flag of Israel, and then there were people who were upset that we tried to change their flag, and then nothing came out of it.
I wonder if we had changed their flag after all if there would be all the violence there now. Think of all the people who would be working to make all the new Iraqi flags; the U.S. government was only trying to crate jobs for the Iraqi people to win the hearts and minds.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think the Iraqi's were really "down" with the new flag we created for them. Go figure. I mean, just imagine how you'd feel if someone from another land came and changed up the national anthem, singing it in another language and changed the musical structure a bit. You'd be pretty pissed, wouldn't you. Oh wait, that happened, and you had a fit...so I guess stuff like that is only cool when WE do it.

Thu May 11, 05:38:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Ah, so you see my point. We had no right to change the Iraqi flag, and I think it was an embarrassing show of stupidity to try. And I believe the same holds true for those who try to change our national anthem. I don’t care if they make a Klingon version, there is only one National Anthem for this country and it is in English, there’s no other way around it, trying to change it is just as stupid and just as embarrassing.

Thu May 11, 10:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually surprised to hear you say we had no right to change their flag...Congrats, you've shocked me! Would you agree that perhaps, we should, stop trying to force other countries to adopt our policies and practices as well?

Fri May 12, 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

It depends on what policies and practices; if it is freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of the press, and women’s rights, then no we should force other countries to allow these freedoms to their people as well.
If it’s McDonalds’s hamburgers, overpaid celebrities and athletes, oil and natural resource over consumption, a thirst for the almighty dollar, politicians who only care about being elected instead of doing the right thing, and a society that rewards the rich at the expense of the poor, then no we should stay out of the practices and norms of other countries.

Fri May 12, 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger quakerdave said...

Something tells me the choice of a flag is the least of these people's problems...

Fri May 12, 03:39:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Yeah, but shoving a new flag on them by our government sure didn’t help with any of their problems or ours. I am just surprised how this story so quickly died when it shows just how ridiculous and asinine our policy is in Iraq.

Fri May 12, 06:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home