Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I did it again

I am just making Vicente more and more pissed off.

I live in a new neighborhood where they are still building many of the houses which means that every weekday the neighborhood is full of day laborers. This also means there are 3 roach coaches that drive around and serve tacos, burritos, and something called papusas (or something like that). But, literally everyday there are about 100 to 200 day laborers doing construction on the houses in this neighborhood and all of them are Hispanic and almost none of them speak English. Lucky for me, I spent years of high school learning Spanish not so that I could go to a Spanish speaking country, but because I need it here in this country. So much for the National Language idea or the amnesty plan which would require new citizens to learn English; they have been here this long and haven’t learned it, so I don’t know why they are going to start now.

Anyhow, Monday I was out mowing the lawn, and I am one of the few people in the neighborhood that has a lawn mower or uses it. Typically I mow the lawn on the weekends, but got to it on Monday this time. You would have thought I had three heads when a truck full of these day laborers drove by and slowed down and all starred at me mowing my lawn. I have a feeling it was one of the first if not only times they have seen someone in this neighborhood actually do their own lawn as it is a job that Americans won’t do.

I am one of those damn Americans who keep taking all their jobs. I think, Vicente is going to start protesting me soon.

6 Comments:

Blogger Always On Watch said...

I am one of the few people in the neighborhood that has a lawn mower or uses it.

Same thing here in our neighborhood, as of last summer. Before that, most of us did our own mowing.

You would have thought I had three heads when a truck full of these day laborers drove by and slowed down and all starred at me mowing my lawn.

That would have pissed me off, big time!

Tue May 30, 07:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOw'd you know they were looking at you unless you were looking at them? I enjoy your use of clever slang, "roach coaches" and calling someone a clever name based on their nationality...that takes a great mind. You are right, that was probably the first time they saw someone mowing their lawn, as they probably go to work each day and worry about doing their work, not, is someone looking at me mow my parents lawn?

Tue May 30, 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Always, it didn’t piss me off that they slowed down the truck and that they were all looking, I thought it was kind of funny.

Anon, when I am mowing the lawn and a car passes by I always look up; I like to wave at people in the neighborhood to be friendly - I am such a bad person huh? And what do you call those UPS-like trucks with the side window that opens up to serve food from, if you don’t know what they look like let me reference you to Caddyshack II and you might get the visual. I actually ordered food from one one day, I had to order in Spanish though, or at least my broken Spanish.

Tue May 30, 02:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The UPS truck is called a Step Van. Or you could call it what it is, a food truck. Do you wave to the day laborers when they drive by?

Wed May 31, 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Well I have always called them roach coaches because they are dirty and quite unsanitary. And actually, I do wave at those I have talked to before and sometimes when I am driving by I stop and say hello.
But, so you feel better let me give you the answer you wanted, “Hell no I don’t wave at them foreigners.”

Wed May 31, 02:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Mighty Whitey, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Thu Jun 01, 05:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home