Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Friday, May 05, 2006

Another Drunken Kennedy?

The Associated Press reports that “Rep. Patrick Kennedy was cited for three traffic violations after his early morning car crash near the Capitol, according to a police report.
The report by a U.S. Capitol Police officer said Kennedy, D-R.I., drove his green 1997 Ford Mustang convertible into a security barrier near the Capitol shortly before 3 a.m. Thursday, and that Kennedy had red, watery eyes, slurred speech and unsteady balance.
Kennedy said in a statement he had taken a sleeping pill and another drug that can cause drowsiness, but had not been drinking alcohol before the accident.
Kennedy, 38, told the police officer he was "headed to the Capitol to make a vote," the report said… Kennedy spent time at a drug rehabilitation clinic before he went to Providence College.” (May 5, 2006). His time in a drug rehabilitation clinic was for cocaine addiction.

And according to the AFP, “The accident Thursday comes just weeks after Patrick Kennedy crashed his vehicle with a car in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, on April 15, according to the New York Daily News. No charges were filed in that incident” (May 5, 2006). Patrick is the son of Senator Edward Kennedy. “Edward Kennedy's own presidential aspirations were ruined when he drove a car off a bridge near the town of Chappaquiddick, Massachusetts in 1969, killing a female passenger. He was returning from a party” (AFP, May 5, 2006).

How was he late for a vote in Congress at 3:00 AM? The last vote was over 6 hours before. I wonder if maybe he really was drinking? And he drives a 10 year old Mustang? He is from one of the richest families in the country, and he drives a 10 year old car? I will say this, at least he was driving an American car.
I said a few weeks ago I would be embarrassed if I was from Massachusetts and Teddy Kennedy was my Senator, well let me add Rhode Island for his son. I am not saying the Republicans are all saints, in fact far from it, but can’t we get better people to lead this country?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The better people are too smart to get bogged down with running this country. They're busy running big businesses, making the big bucks and not having minutia of their lives dissected and inspected in the media by the opposing party. Between the negative campaigning and the race to discredit any person who may not have a popular opinion on something, who would want the hassle?

Mon May 08, 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

I would take that hassle. And should I ever become an elected official the world would be a better place. I think that people need to step up and get involved.
And as far as the money goes, even Al Gore, a two-time Vice President and a Presidential campaign loser makes over $200,000 a speech now, but he would not have that opportunity had he not been in politics. Not a bad chunk of change for standing in front of a group and talking about yourself.

Mon May 08, 04:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always said that people who WANT to be elected officials are the people who have the least business in those positions. Good to see you're so humble.

Tue May 09, 05:23:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

I am looking out for you, and I think I would make an excellent politician in the same mold as a Lincoln, Roosevelt, or Kennedy. The only special interest I will listen to is my own.

Tue May 09, 04:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home