Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Additional Immigration Information

Here are three more pieces of information that I thought were worthwhile to discuss.

1. The 370 miles of triple-layered fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border that was approved by the Senate yesterday is actually only 300 miles of additional fencing through the Arizona desert and fortifying 70 miles of existing fences near Sand Diego and parts of Arizona (The Washington Post, Senate Back Fence, Guest-Worker Curbs, May 18, 2006).

2. The Group, We Are America, is a pro-illegal immigration group made up of “41 immigrant resource groups, unions, churches, day laborers and Spanish-language disc jockeys opposes House legislation that would criminalize illegal immigrants, but it will lobby Congress and compromise to realize its goal of obtaining legal residency for many of the 11 million people” (Washington Post, Immigrant Supporters to Counter Bush Speech, May 15, 2006).

3. “A 2004 government report estimated that more than half of illegal immigrants come to the U.S. legally, then overstay their visas. Experts say the U.S. will remain a magnet as long as businesses are willing to hire such migrants” (Time, Who’s Going to Stop That Man?, May 22, 2006).

On the third point I am more than willing to admit that I was wrong. I did know that this was a problem, but I was unaware that overstayed visas constituted half of the illegal immigration problem. Interior enforcement as well as border security will need to go hand in hand to stop this problem.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

You have a good point on the third issue. I personally do not care whether they overstayed their visas or crossed the border. I want them GONE. Call me cruel, racist, or whatever the name is today...I am Mohawk. Guess it won't work that easy, eh? lol. I just want Americans living in America. Is that too selfish?

Fri May 19, 04:02:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

I have been spending a great deal of time thinking about this issue, and it is impossible to deport every individual who is here illegally and this is because of the 14th Amendment which is interpreted as any individual born on U.S. soil is thus a U.S. citizen. You can’t send an illegal immigrant back to their country of origin if they have a child who is a minor and born in the United States and thus a U.S. citizen. That won’t work and is not going to pass through either the House or the Senate.

Fri May 19, 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

Here is a fourth point to add to this additional information. Tonight on Anderson Cooper they showed a piece on how tens of thousands of pets are also being snuck across the border. I have never had a pet myself, other than a fish, but from what I learned, you can not sell a dog that is under 8 weeks old and you can not sell a dog that is already sick. According to the report, dogs being smuggled in are almost always under 8 weeks old because there is some sort of market for the tiniest dogs possible. In addition, many of these dogs are sick and die soon after being sold on the black market which according to the report are street corners in California.
Republican or Democrat, no one likes cruelty to animals, so perhaps someone could explain why you can not sell a dog that is under 8 weeks old?

Fri May 19, 11:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home