Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

So much to talk about and so little time

Let’s start here: I will not be filling up my car with Exxon gas. Right now gas prices are going through the roof and although there are many factors that have lead to this increase including the increase in oil consumption by China and India, instability in Iran, Venezuela, and Nigeria, the summer driving season, Iraq, and yes 12 million illegal immigrants, another reason for this gas price hike is because Exxon Mobil gave a $400 million dollar retirement package to Exxon Mobil Corporation Chairman and CEO Lee Raymond. Yes, that was Four-hundred million dollars for a retirement package. It takes Howard Stern almost 4 years to make that kind of money and this guy got it in one lump sum. But, as it turns out there is some logic behind the decision to grant Raymond such a large retirement package, last year Exxon posted a $36,000,000,000 profit all while consumers had to pay at the pump. And if you think profits were high last year, as of last Tuesday, one week ago today when gas prices had not climbed to over $3.00 a gallon, gas prices reached a national average of $2.78 which was up 55 cents from a year earlier (Reuters, April 18, 2006). I can only imagine the profits that Exxon is expecting this year.
So no, I will not be buying my gas at Exxon, not that we aren’t being gouged by the other oil companies, but at least they have not received the brunt of my ire, yet.

Oh, and I would like to thank the President for not putting any gasoline in our reserves and instead putting it out in the market, because that might save me what a penny every time I fill up at the pump? I am not a scientist, a car manufacturer, or a politician, but if I knew of any way to make a difference in this I would other than sticking to a no Exxon Gas policy and driving as little as possible.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Spotz said...

You might give this a read, just for fun...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/26/61225/9453

Wed Apr 26, 09:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Spotz said...

Oops, retry, lol.

You might give this a read, just for fun...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/
2006/4/26/61225/9453

Wed Apr 26, 09:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home