Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Rant Update

This is an update from the February 24th rant on this site. The Major League Soccer team the San Jose Earthquakes which had moved to Houston has chosen a new name; they will now be known as the Houston Dynamo. Originally the team name was going to be the Houston 1836, which would have commemorated the year Houston was founded, the year Texas seceded from Mexico, and the year that General Sam Houston and the Texas Army defeated General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna's Mexican forces at the Battle of San Jacinto. But the name 1836 was dropped because of objections from Mexican-American community in Houston. Would someone please remind these people that they are Mexican-AMERICANS; their side won the war. English-Americans who live in Boston don’t complain over the name New England Patriots, because they understand that their side won and they are better off for it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Oncorhynchus Mykiss said...

I agree with you. But I also hate Texas and Texans. They believe they are teh keystone state of he south and the most American of all states, with no historical basis. I have no doubt that I come from the best state in the Union, hands down, and no argument can be made otherwise, but it annoys me that Texans believe the same. It's like I read in a New Mexican bathroom stall once: "Here I sit, butt cheeks a'flexin', just gave birth to another Texan."

Mon Mar 13, 08:19:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Actually, Pennsylvania is the “Keystone State,” and Virginia is a Commonwealth. But, Texas is the only state though that was once its own country.

Mon Mar 13, 09:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why you're wasting your time with this one. So they opted to be sensitive to part of a community, in particular, one that will probably be spending a significant amount of money at their soccer games. Who cares. The name was stupid to begin with, because, quite honestly, they were going to have to explain what it meant to a majority of the people who came to the games. Dynamo is a nice, generic name that people will get behind and wear on their shirts and hats. Politics aside, the club made the right move marketing wise. I like Mr. mykiss' rhyme...good stuff!

Mon Mar 13, 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Oncorhynchus Mykiss said...

Youre an idiot Publius. I didnt capitalize "keystone state" and therefore meant keystone as "being of paramount importance". And saying I come from the best "commonwealth" in the union means we're the best out of VA, PA, KY, and MA only, while "state" generally implies and covers everyone. Being corrected on posts here is annoying. I quit. And I still hate Texans.

Mon Mar 13, 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

I mention that Virginia is a commonwealth and not a state because there are so many people in Virginia and the rest of the country who do not know that. The teachings of civics and history as well as math, science, and English has fallen by the wayside in American schools and been replaced with babysitters managing over 30 children at a time.
I had a discussion with a young kid just this past weekend who told me they did not like school because their teacher picked on them. When I asked what atrocities the teacher had committed, the kid told me that the teacher tells them to be quiet when she is trying to teach. In this country the concept of respect has been destroyed and been replaced with a me-first mentality. I am completely certain that you know Virginia is a Commonwealth but at the same time I am even more certain that if you walked into a 7th grade civics class in any school in Virginia tomorrow and asked them if they knew Virginia was a Commonwealth and if they could name even one more, that you would find how little the future of our country know.

Mon Mar 13, 11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home