Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Lee Marvin

This was interesting enough that I thought I should pass it along.
Actor Lee Marvin who you may remember from such movies as The Dirty Dozen, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and The Comancheros was actually more of a badass in real life than he was on film.
Marvin enlisted in the U.S. Marines during World War II, and saw action as Private First Class in the Pacific. In June 1944 during the battle for Saipan in the Pacific, Marvin was wounded (in the buttocks) by fire which severed his sciatic nerve. For his injury and valor in combat, Marvin received a Purple Heart, and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
The action stars of yesterday might not have the muscle or money as the stars of today, but they were real men. Movie stars today play soldier, the movie stars of the past were soldiers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home