Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Monday, March 13, 2006

Daily Rant

According to Newsweek magazine, Whole Foods Market is now the nation’s largest buyer of wind power after it purchased 458,000 megawatt hours of wind energy to power all 180 of its grocery stores (March 13, 2006). According to the report, this switch to wind power in these 180 stores reduces carbon dioxide emissions into the atmosphere equivalent to taking 60,000 cars of the road or planting 90,000 acres of trees.
I say good for Whole Foods, protecting the environment and reducing our consumption of foreign oil is vital not only for our country but the world as well. But, this does not mean that I am going to shop in their stores because I don’t see the purpose of purchasing organic foods. Why do people care if their chicken was stored in a cage or was a free range bird, either way the bird was killed, plucked, and cut up. I don’t think the last thought going through a chicken’s mind before its head is cut off is, “Well, at least I wasn’t stuck in a cage.”
-Publius

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, while you think it's great that they are doing something to lower our dependancy on foreign oil, you won't do anything to support it? That is, perhaps, the dumbest thing I've ever heard. In previous posts, you suggested that we support gas stations who do not rely on foreign oil, like Hess. I thought that was a good idea. But, you know, I don't like the overall atmosphere of the local Hess, so I won't go there now. You defeat your own arguments on a regular basis. Why don't you just say, "Isn't it great what they're doing? F Them."

Tue Mar 14, 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Will I shop at Whole Foods? No. I find no need to only purchase organic foods; I wasn’t raised on organic foods and I am not about to start now.
But, let’s just say for a second that I would shop there. At the moment the closest grocery store to me is about 1.5 miles away, whereas the nearest Whole Foods is at least 20 miles away. For me to make the 40 mile round trip excursion to purchase food at a store that uses Wind Power to run its stores would defeat the purpose because of the amount of carbon dioxide my car would emit and the amount of gas my car would consume to get there and back. It is not hypocritical to applaud a business for doing the right thing while also saying that I would not frequent their establishment. If the local car wash only purchases Hydro Power to power its store isn’t it possible for me to applaud their eco-friendly approach while also saying I will not go there because I prefer to wash my own car?
And by saying gas companies like Hess do not use Middle Eastern oil and encouraging people to use their stations merely informs people of an alternative. This same goes with Whole Foods. Perhaps it would have been better to merely state the good that Whole Foods does and leave out my personal shopping preferences, but I felt it better to say the truth that while I applaud their efforts its does not mean that I use their product.

Tue Mar 14, 01:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent points, however, you might have mentioned that a Whole Foods store is not near you, making it a less environmentally friendly trip for you to shop there. I'll say this, if the subject is one that you feel strongly about, merely saying "I think it's great what they're doing!" but offering no further support is lame. Now, here is where I will back up my argument... my wife and I disagree with current laws in the midwest allowing ranchers to shoot wild horses, that they say are encroaching on their land and eating grass meant for their cattle. So, in addition to doing the obligatory writing of letters to congressmen who won't read them, and joining a group involved in protecting these animals, we don't buy beef from from stores that get their meat from the midwest, instead, we buy beef from local farmers. Rather than just applauding the groups doing something and saying "Hey Ranchers, I think you're bad" I am, in my own small way doing something about it. With your argument, I'd finish the statement with "Ooooh, look, Ground Beef is $1.50 a pound this week!"

Wed Mar 15, 05:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home