Protect and Defend

Welcome to my blog, Protect and Defend. You don’t have to understand me. You only have to agree with me. I can live with losing the good fight, but I can not live with not fighting that good fight at all. - Publius

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Daily Rant

I caught some footage tonight that showed Paris Hilton at a jewelry store picking out diamonds. She told the woman working there what she thought was “Hot” and what wasn’t, and then she told that camera that she loves diamonds because they are the prettiest of all stones. This footage saddened me because I could not reach into the televisions and smack her. This is someone with no apparent talent and no value to society and yet she is on the cover of magazines, she appears in entertainment news reports and somehow infiltrates our daily lives. In general I find Hollywood-types uninformed, over-hyped, overpaid, asinine, and generally unworthy of the status and wealth they have achieved. In some ways their existence supports my belief in God because it is obvious that they have made a pact with the devil.
And let’s be honest, I don’t care what any uneducated actor thinks about our foreign or domestic policy; if I wanted to know what a high schooler thinks about the War in Iraq, I will ask them not a Hollywood actor who only has a high school education. These people don’t understand that just because you are famous doesn’t mean anyone cares about what you think.
Let’s review some of my more favorite Hollywood activist and see just how smart they are:
Cher: Dropped out of school in 9th grade. Martin Sheen: Flunked exam to enter University of Dayton. Jessica Lange: Dropped out college mid-freshman year. Alec Baldwin: Dropped out of George Washington University after scandal. Julia Roberts: Completed high school. Sean Penn: Completed High school. Susan Sarandon: Degree in Drama from Catholic University in Washington, D.C. George Clooney: Dropped out of University of Kentucky. Michael Moore: Dropped out first year at the University of Michigan. Sarah Jessica Parker: Completed High School. Jennifer Anniston: Completed High School.
Should we care at all what these people think? No. So why in the hell do they try to tell us what to think? Does the President, Dick Cheney, or Condoleezza Rice make mistakes? Yes, but I would still take their word and their decisions over any of these Hollywood half-wits. If we believe that from education comes greater understanding and intelligence, let’s examine what these three bring to the table.
President George W. Bush: Received a Bachelors Degree from Yale University and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
Vice President Dick Cheney: Earned a B.A. in 1965 and a M.A. in 1966, both in political science from the University of Wyoming.
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice: Earned her Bachelor's Degree in Political Science, Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Denver in 1974; her Master's from the University of Notre Dame in 1975; and her Ph.D. from the Graduate School of International Studies at the University of Denver in 1981. (Note: Rice enrolled at the University of Denver at the age of 15, graduating at 19 with a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science (Cum Laude).
I will go with a MBA, a MA, and a PhD over a whole roomful of Hollywood high school diplomas any day. Sometimes don’t you just want to smack these Hollywood-types and tell them to go back to Hollywood with the rest of their numskull liberal friends and leave us the hell alone?
-Publius

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, entertainers should stick to what they are paid to do, entertain. I've never cared much for actors, singers and the like who want to force their politics on the masses. Of course, I don't really like anyone forcing their politics, it just irks me. However, in your "education comparison," be careful in how you judge. I've found that the amount of education, or number of degrees someone has, really has no bearing on how "smart" they are. There are people with PhD's who, for all suits and purposes, can't tie their own shoes, and people with an 8th grade education who will absolutely floor you with their knowledge. Many times, it comes down to pure common sense, which, these days, doesn't seem to be all that common.

Fri Mar 03, 05:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. The arguement comparing education is one of the most elitist and ridiculous critiques I've ever heard. I am not defending Hollywood, they can kiss my ass. But I know people with 8th grade educations who are millionaires (not that uncommon in the microeconomies of the south) and people with PhDs who are still drifting from job to job. That that little tirade comparing Hollywood-types to members of the White House administration was absolutely laughable. Crap like that should be on AM radio.

Fri Mar 03, 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

Well if higher education does not equate to or display how intelligent someone is, I wonder if either of you went to college or if you have a degree beyond that of just a BA or BS? If so, then are you saying you are not smarter, or at least more knowledgeable, from having earned those degrees than if you had never gone to college? If so, it was quite the waist of an education.

Fri Mar 03, 11:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I have 2 bachelor's degrees and a masters, let's pretend I don't. Forget the argument that education = brains, that's not the point I was trying to make and I apologize.

My problem is that you are comparing PEOPLE IN THE WHITE HOUSE TO STUPID ACTORS! They shouldn't be in the same sentence in any context. I am sorry conservatives are bothered by celebrities who speak out against their heroes in the republican party, but it seems a little oversensitive and desparate. The "Take that!" tone of your argument is just silly. The fact that you start comparing the degree levels attained by people in Hollywood to the leaders of our nation would make those celebrities beam with satisfaction.

Fri Mar 03, 12:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say it was a "waist" of education. I might say "waste." Do I have a degree? Yes, I do. Does that make me smarter? Not necessarily. Everyone is different and has different life experiences. For me, college was the right step after high school. For someone else, it may have been the military, or maybe they needed to get a job to help provide for a family. Life experience can often provide a better "education" than any classroom ever would. If you can only value the opinion and thoughts of someone who can string a bunch of letters at the end of their name, I feel sorry for you. You're missing out on some great people.

Fri Mar 03, 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Publius said...

My contention is not so much with the celebrities, we expect them to be spokespeople for causes and head charities and I applaud them for doing so. My problem is with the media that treats these Hollywood celebrities as experts. I would rather trust the “educated” experts who receive daily briefings from what we assume are the best intelligence gathering organizations in the world (CIA, FBI, State Department, NSA, etc), than to hear an actor and his opinion on world events and then have both opinions treated as if they were equal.

Fri Mar 03, 11:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home